Bus Request Process - NEW!
We are implementing a new bus request process for next school year. Parents and guardians have been sent information regarding this process. It can also be found at the link below. We ask that all parents/guardians submit a form for each child indicating whether or not busing is needed next year. If you have questions, please contact us at 607-739-6338.
Click here for more information and links to the Bus Request Form.
The Horseheads Central School District includes approximately 140 square miles. The Transportation Department provides transportation for approximately 4,800 public and parochial school students each year. Buses travel 900,000 miles yearly. On a typical day, our 77 buses log about 4,000 miles. The district has a 100% busing policy to the district's seven schools, meaning any child in the district may be bused to school. We also transport district students to two Head Start locations and twelve private and parochial schools. Bus stops are set at quarter mile marks so that no student walks more than 1/8 of a mile to a bus stop. We also transport our students to field trips, athletic competitions, and other educational events.
The district is one of the only school districts in the state to require all employees in the Transportation Department to have a CDL Bus Driver's License. All bus drivers must undergo required physical exams and random drug testing as well as complete safety courses, special needs training, and first aid/CPR training. The department maintains a 98.5% passing rate on all Department of Motor Vehicle inspections, which is above the state average.
Bus Rules - Please share this information with your students. Thank you!
- Sit in your assigned seat
- Use kind words, inside voice, and clean language
- Remain seated until the bus is at a complete stop
- If you didn’t bring it on the bus, DON’T touch it! If you brought it on the bus, TAKE it with you.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself
- NO wireless speakers – you MUST use your earbuds
- Do not block the aisle
- Use your listening ears when the driver gives instructions
- NO pictures or video recording allowed
- You got on a clean bus, and we ask that you leave a clean bus
Please see our Bus Safety Guidelines in the "More Information" box, or see below for the links: