Ridge Road Elementary School
Welcome to Pre - Kindergarten
The Pre-Kindergarten program in the Horseheads Central School District is based on a developmental approach to learning. It is center-based and promotes the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual growth of each child. We work to promote school readiness, independence, self-esteem, and self-confidence. We have full-day pre-kindergarten classes in our four elementary schools.
The Pre-Kindergarten program is funded in part by a special grant from New York State. To be eligible, a student must turn four on or before December 1, and the student's primary residence must be in the district. There are a limited number of spots available. Registration is held in the spring prior to the start of the school year.
New York State's Office of Early Learning has guidances to assist families with Prekindergarten eligibility. To view the FAQs document, click here. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Early Learning at OEL@nysed.gov or Karen McLain at 739-5601, x4251 or email@example.com.
Our subject areas include:
Language Arts – Little Treasures
- Recognize letter names
- Recognizing and interpreting familiar signs and symbols
- Labeling drawings with letters or words
- Use sound or invented spelling to spell independently
- Sharing drawings with peers and adults
- Reading and writing own name
Math – Everyday Math
- Counting (1-20)
- Basic shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle)
- Calendar activities
- Problem solving
- Number recognition (1-10)
- Printing letters and numerals
- Printing name