Career Research Websites:
- CareerZone - Interest assessment and career information with NY schools links: www.nycareerzone.org
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - United States Department of Labor reference about occupations: www.bls.gov/oco
- Choices 360 - Career assessments; career and post-secondary planning information: www.choices360.com.
School counselors work with students to explore career ideas. Each year, students and counselors work on the student’s individual career plan that includes thinking about interests and abilities, what type of career they might be interested in and what type of training and education they might need to pursue for that career.
Career Development Council
One of the resources available to Horseheads students is Career Development Council, Inc. Career Development Council, Inc. is a part of GST BOCES that focuses on career awareness in the schools. Once a student has identified a career interest, the school representative from Career Development will meet with the student and, depending on the student’s interest, give them reading material, set up a job shadow, invite the student to a career panel, or even arrange an afterschool credit-bearing internship. Most events are for juniors and seniors, but motivated second semester sophomores are welcome to use these services as well. Visit the website at http://cdc.gstboces.org.
How do I meet with Horseheads career development?
Mrs. Lynch, the Horseheads career development representative, is available to meet with students during their lunch/activity period on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. She can discuss opportunities for students to explore careers and ways to connect with professionals in their careers of interest. Mrs. Lynch's email is email@example.com.
A shadowing enables you to spend part of a day with an adult in a career you are interested in at that person's worksite. You will learn about the job responsibilities, the format of a typical day, the salary range, and the work environment. You must provide your own transportation to the experience. Shadowing is only open to Juniors and Seniors. To arrange a shadowing experience:
- Juniors and Seniors interested in shadowing should sign up in the Counseling Office or email Mrs. Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to meet on a Tuesday or Wednesday during activity periods. Students may also complete a Shadow Request Form and bring it to the Counseling Office.
- Meet with Mrs. Lynch to discuss your shadowing interest.
- When your shadowing has been arranged (usually within 2-3 weeks), Mrs. Lynch or another representative from the Career Development Council will notify you and give you a packet of information that includes the following:
- Confirmation letter with details
- Directions and special instructions
- Parent permission slip
- Student evaluation to be returned to Mrs. Lynch
- When the shadowing has been completed, we ask students to complete this Student Shadow Evaluation form, and to remember to write or email a thank-you note to the shadow host.
- For more information on shadowing, including questions to ask the shadow host, please click here for our Shadow Instruction Guide.
Career Panels are informational meetings arranged around a particular career field. There is a panel discussion by adults followed by student question time. This is a larger group activity, and it helps provide awareness of a variety of careers within a field. Most panels have transportation to and from the event. Sign up in the Counseling Office. Please note that space is limited, and seniors have priority.
Afterschool internships are available to juniors and seniors who are passing their courses and have excellent attendance. Most internships are 30 hours long and must be completed during the school year. The student completes a written journal and a few assignments as well as a project to get credit on their transcript. Students are encouraged to shadow first at their internship location to make sure that they are comfortable spending so many hours at the worksite.
Back to the High School Counseling Services page.