Horseheads Middle School
The Horseheads Middle School Music Department is committed to providing a quality music program. We are dedicated to providing life-long skills and appreciation of music. The program offers students the opportunity to learn and enjoy choral, instrumental, and strings instruction, as well as music theory.
All students are required to complete twenty weeks of music education during each of the two years at the Middle School. This requirement can be fulfilled by participating in one or more of the many performing groups. Vocal and instrumental music are offered for interested students. The choirs, bands and orchestra perform for numerous concerts and assemblies. Participation in concerts is a requirement of the performing groups. Students who choose a performing group are expected to participate for the full year if scheduling permits. General music is available to students who do not choose a performing group.
Band / Orchestra:
All students enrolled in the instrumental music program will participate in one of the bands or in orchestra at the Middle School. The Orchestra consists of all string players in grades 7-8. Band students participate in Band or Concert Band. Placement will be determined by the Middle School Band Director. Placement of incoming 7th graders is made after conferring with the elementary instrumental music teachers.
If students are enrolled in band or orchestra, they must attend lessons. Lesson groups meet once during each 6 day cycle. Lessons are scheduled on a rotating basis so that students will not miss the same class on a weekly basis.
Choir is a one-semester course that meets every other day. Presently, choir is offered during eight different periods. All choirs are mixed, containing both male and female students at both grade levels.
In addition to their course work, district music students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of community service activities beginning at grade 5:
- Japanese Sister City Jazz Band
- Performances at area nursing homes – High School Jazz Band and Intermediate School Show Choir
- St Joseph's Hospital Tree Lighting Ceremony – High School Show Choir
- Horseheads Holly Days – Marching Band, Middle School Choirs
- Arnot Mall performance during the holidays – High School Brass Choir
- Arctic League Telethon – High School Show Choir
- Tuba Christmas – Middle and High School brass players
- Corning Museum of Glass Early Bird Brass – Bass players, grades 5-8
- Kiwanis performance – High School Show Choir
- All-County Band – grades 6-9
- Area All-State – grades 9-12
- All State – grades 11-12
- New York State Honor Band – grades 11-12