School Health Services


The school nurse in each district building provides first aid emergency care during illness and/or accidents that occur while students are under school supervision.

It is important that parents accurately complete and return the emergency information sent home each September as soon as possible. This information includes the name of the person(s) who will serve as an emergency contact. If a parent or guardian cannot be reached in an emergency, the school physician, family physician, or an ambulance will be called.



The Nurse Practice Act and state education laws prohibit school nurses and other district personnel from dispensing medications such as ibuprofen, cold tablets, cough drops, essential oils, etc. In circumstances when a child must take medication during school hours, the school nurse may dispense the medication if the parents and the child's doctor have completed and filed a special form called "The Physician's Order for Giving Medication in School." This form is available in physicians’ offices, or they may be picked up in the school health office before going to visit the doctor.

If your child needs to take medication during school hours, we require:

  1. A responsible adult (other than the student) must deliver the medication to the health office in the original container clearly indicating name, date, physician, dosage, and frequency.
  2. The doctor must complete the pink medication form or equivalent form for administration of medicine in school.
  3. A parent/guardian signature must also appear on the pink form. In addition, parents should notify their child's school nurse of any medications that are administered at home. This information will be recorded in the student's school health records and will provide important information in the event of an emergency or illness.

In addition, parents should notify their child's school nurse of any medications that are administered at home. This information will be recorded in the student's school health records and will provide important information in the event of an emergency or illness.



New York State Public Health Law requires that all children entering school have the following minimum immunizations:

  • 3 Hepatitis B
  • 4 DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) for pre-k students. Students in grades K-5 need 5 DPT doses OR 4 doses if the 4th dose was at age 4 or older. Three doses are required for students entering grades 6-12
  • 3 Oral Polio; 3 doses prior to pre-k and 4th prior to entering kindergarten
  • MMR: the first dose given on or after the child’s first birthday; 1 dose for all entering pre-k, and 2 doses for K-12
  • 2 Varicella, for all entering kindergarten and 6th grade
  • 1 Tdap (tetanus toxoids, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis), for all students entering grade 6 and who are 11 years of age
  • Meningococcal vaccine for all students entering grade 7 and again at 16 years of age


Parents of children uninsured or under-insured may have their children immunized at the Chemung County Health Department in Elmira. Call (607)737-2028 for an appointment.


Annual School Appraisals

Health appraisals are required in grades K, 2, 4, 7, and 10, and of all athletes and new students entering the district. All physicals completed within the 12-month period preceding any given school year are acceptable.

If a student is seen by a private physician in New York State, the doctor's report should be submitted to the school within 30 days of entrance. If no report is filed, a school appraisal will be scheduled for the students in grades listed above.

Please note: An appraisal is not the same as a full physical by your private physician. School appraisals are intended for school use only and are not intended to replace the continuity of care provided by your private physician. Additionally, we can no longer accept out-of-state physicals.


Health Screenings

All students are screened according to state mandates. If the results of any screening indicate that the child requires further follow-up, the parent will receive written notification:

  • Height, weight, and blood pressure in grades K, 3, 4, 7, and 10
  • Vision in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10
  • Hearing in grades K, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 10
  • Scoliosis in grades 5-9.


Dental Health Certificates

The state now requires all schools to request dental health certificates from parents at the same time we require a health certificate (grades K, 2, 4, 7, and 10). For more information, contact your school nurse.


Emotional Health Screenings

Family Services of Chemung County provides free, voluntary, and confidential emotional health screenings. For more information, click the link to the left, or call Family Services at (607) 733-5696.


Infectious Diseases

When your child has an infectious disease, please notify the school nurse so that we can be aware of your child’s health and protect the health of all children in the school. Diseases or conditions the nurse should know about include chicken pox, strep throat, lice, flu, diarrhea, whooping cough, hepatitis, mononucleosis, scabies, tuberculosis, or any other infectious disease.



The school physician has approved a standing order for EpiPen®, allowing nursing staff to administer it to a student who exhibits symptoms of anaphylaxis, a sudden, severe allergic reaction. It is intended as an emergency intervention in a life-threatening situation, such as when a student with no history of allergies experiences a first anaphylactic reaction. If your child is prescribed an EpiPen®, please provide one to your school nurse.


More Information...

Contact Us


Horseheads Central School District

One Raider Lane
Horseheads, NY 14845

Dr. Thomas J. Douglas
Superintendent of Schools


• Explore           • Empower           • Excel